Thursday, March 15, 2007

Brave New Beginnings and Remarkable Possibilities!

For it is in giving that we receive

Prayer of Peace, St. Francis of Assisi
The Karen Maryann scholarship blog has generated quite a buzz. I have received many responses from family and friends inquiring how they can help, contribute and share their resources. One of my all time favourite prayer is the Prayer of Peace by St. Francis of Assisi. The sentence that piques my interest is 'For it is in giving that we receive'. I have used this sentence in many areas of my life and everytime find a new meaning. Recently I read that 'In Giving', does not mean giving money or something tangible but also means giving of your time, friendship, a kind word, or just a ear to someone in need. I thank everyone who took the time to provide valuable feedback; for me, that was your way of 'giving'.
During a recent staff meeting, I was requested to make a presentation on the Karen Maryann Scholarship. I was delighted to share information on education in India in general. One of my Canadian colleagues informed me that in Canada, not enrolling a child in school is punishable by law. She also inquired about the reality of schooling in India in terms of accessibility as well as equality. The discussion was very interesting with key learnings of a surreal reality...for many children in rural parts of India enrolling in school, a school bag, book, slate or even access to education is a dream. Equality in education is skewed, a reality where male children are given preference to basic education than a female children. This may seem discouraging, but in India today, a large number children will realise that dream because of people's generosity in sharing their resources.
I welcome ideas and links to organisations working fearlessly to educate children all over the world. One of the organisations that has made significant strides in educating children in India, Cambodia, Laos, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Vietnam and recently South Africa is 'Room To Read' (www.roomtoread.org).
With organisations like this, the situation is not so grim after all. With your support and encouragement, this endeavor is ‘A time for brave new beginnings and remarkable possibilities!’.

No comments: