Sunday, March 14, 2010

Christmas 2009 - Pennies for Peace

Hi everyone,

That was a long hiatus. A little update - in the last year a lot of work was done in assessing the direction of the Karen Maryann Scholarship. I am happy to tell you that a Trust Fund is in the works to make the scholarship permanent and sustainable over the years.

I came upon this article by Greg Mortensen, the author of "Three Cups of tea", www.threecupsoftea.com, amazing book. I had not heard of this author before and his work with educating children in Afghanistan and Pakistan appealed to me so much, that I sent an e-mail out to friends to donate their spare pennies for his "Pennies for Peace" project. I was amazed at the response especially from children. Thanks to Simran Lasrado who parted with her whole Piggy bank and to Supriya Tyagi for her contribution.

It was something small in the spirit of Christmas, but will go a long way for some child in a war-torn country.

Thanks again to everyone who supported me in this last minute appeal.

No comments: